Rule status: Adopted
Effective date: December 19, 2022
Proposed Rule Full Text
Adopted Rule Full Text
Adopted rule summary:
The Taxi and Limousine Commission is promulgating amendments to the rules that increase the taximeter rate of fare and various surcharges for taxicabs and street hail liveries, create a new LaGuardia Airport surcharge and increase the Kennedy Airport flat fare.
- The initial unit charge is increased from $2.50 to $3.00.
- The Taxicab Improvement Surcharge and Street Hail Livery Improvement Surcharge is increased from $0.30 to $1.00.
- The additional unit charge is increased from $0.50 to $0.70.
- The rush hour surcharge is increased from $1.00 to $2.50.
- The nighttime surcharge is increased from $0.50 to $1.00.
- The taxi flat fare for trips between Manhattan and Kennedy Airport, and the SHL flat fare for trips from Manhattan to Kennedy Airport, is increased from $52.00 to $70.00.
- The rush hour taxi and SHL flat fare surcharge for Kennedy Airport trips is increased from $4.50 to $5.00.
- A new surcharge of $5.00 is created for all taxi trips to and from LaGuardia Airport, and all SHL trips to LaGuardia Airport hailed outside of the Hail Exclusionary Zone.
- The taxi surcharge for all trips to Newark Airport is increased from $17.50 to $20.00.
Comments are now closed.
Online comments: 3
No. Please do not increase taximeter rates. It is already extremely expensive to live in NYC. Plus this change would hurt students studying in NYC by making taxis unaccessible to many of them.
Many senior citizens and people with disabilities rely on taxis and for-hire vehicles because of mobility issues. Please keep fares as low as possible for them.
Second comment. Taxi drivers in taxi stands (such as the one at Port Authority Bus Terminal) should be willing to accept customers. Many times I have tried to get a taxi outside of the bus station and have been refused by every driver in the queue. There should also be a way to call for taxis if there are no taxis at the taxi stands outside of Grand Central Terminal and Port Authority Bus Station (also Penn Station, if it is also a problem there – I don’t often use that station). Taxis are often needed to complete the “last mile” of a trip.