Taxi-SHL Improvement Surcharge Collection-Remittance Rules
Proposed Rules: Closed to Comments
The proposed rule amends and clarifies the Taxi and Limousine Commission’s (TLC) rules regarding how the Taxicab Improvement Surcharge and the Street Hail Livery Improvement Surcharge will be collected and paid to the TLC. The proposed rule includes notification and reporting requirements for Taxicab Passenger Enhancement Program (TPEP) and Livery Passenger Enhancement Program (LPEP) vendors.
The proposed rule:
· Establishes requirements for Medallion Owners or Agents for payment of the Taxicab Improvement Surcharge and for Street Hail Livery Licensees for the payment of the Street Hail Livery Improvement Surcharge.
· Modifies the meter equipment restriction for For-Hire vehicles to allow all Street Hail Livery vehicles to be equipped with a taximeter.
· Establishes how funds contributed are allocated between the Driver and Owner portions of the Street Hail Livery Improvement Fund.
· Provides collection and notification requirements for the TPEP and LPEP vendors regarding the Taxicab Improvement Surcharge and the Street Hail Livery Improvement Surcharge respectively.
· Requires the TPEP and LPEP systems to perform driver verification against TLC-provided licensee lists, and meet other technical requirements.
· Changes the recipient of Street Hail Livery Improvement Surcharge proceeds from fares and the obligation to pay those proceeds to the Street Hail Livery Improvement Fund from Street Hail Livery Bases to Street Hail Livery Licensees. This change is made because as the TLC began to move to implement collection of the Surcharge, administrative concerns indicated that Street Hail Livery Licensees should be the collectors and payors.