Owner must drive and enforcement cleanup
Proposed Rules: Closed to Comments
Statement of Basis and Purpose of Proposed Rules
These proposed rules are authorized by Section 2303 of the Charter and Sections 19-503 and 19-506 of the New York City Administrative Code. The proposed rules seek to amend the Taxi and Limousine Commission’s rules in order to implement recent legislation passed by the New York City Council, to increase penalties for illegal activities, and to address other technical considerations that were identified by TLC staff.
The proposed rule changes to Title 35 of the Rules of the City of New York are as follows:
- Amendments to implement Local Law 36 of 2011, which prohibits the facilitation of sex trafficking with a vehicle;
- Amendments to implement Local Law 32 of 2012, which increases the penalties for unlicensed activity and other unlawful conduct;
- Amendments to increase the penalties for failure to comply with TLC safety standards; Amendments to TLC licensing requirements and standards;
- Amendments to clarify TLC’s drug testing rules;
- Amendments to the Owner Must Drive Rule;
- Amendment to TPEP specifications for Hybrid and Clean-Air Taxicabs that do not require a partition. Amendments to require For Hire Vehicle Owners to maintain and provide the Commission with a valid email address.
- Amendments to taxicab specifications, requiring all taxicabs to be fitted with operable rear windows.