Car Wash Rules
Proposed Rules: Closed to Comments
Statement of Basis and Purpose of Proposed Rule
The City Council enacted Local Law 62 for the Year 2015, adding Subchapter 33 to Title 20 of the New York City Administrative Code to require car washes in New York City to be licensed and regulated by the Department. Local Law 62 also amends Chapter 5 of Title 24 of the Code to add standards for car washes with regard to water and waste disposal.
These proposed rules establish requirements to implement the Law. Specifically, these rules:
- Add a new subchapter HH to Chapter 2 of Title 6 of the Rules of the City of New York to implement the requirements for the Department’s licensing and regulation of car washes.
- Amend section 1-02 of Chapter 1 of Title 6 to set October 31 of odd-numbered years as the expiration date for the biannual car wash licenses.
- Describe insurance requirements for applicants and licensees.
- Describe surety bond requirements for applicants and licensees.
- Establish record keeping requirements for complaints relating to damage of vehicles.
Section 2203(f) of the City Charter and Sections 20-104(b), 20-108 and 20-546 of the New York City Administrative Code authorize the Commissioner of the Department of Consumer Affairs to make this proposed rule. This proposed rule was not included in regulatory agenda of the Department of Consumer Affairs for this Fiscal Year because it was not contemplated when the Department published the agenda.